T-shirt bag diy

I got this shirt at Target without trying it on first (mistake) and didn’t know what to do when I discovered it didn’t fit. It wouldn’t have been a problem but I IMMEDIATELY rip all tags off of new clothes and throw them away after I go shopping. Every time. I honestly never learn. And by that time the receipt usually has chewed gum in it so… Yeah.

But I’ve wanted to make a t-shirt bag for a while, and this turned out to be the perfect opportunity!

The shirt:

How cute is this, though? I mean, OWL!

First I sewed the bottom shut:

Then I did that thing (insert technical term here) where you sew the corners to give the bag a boxy shape.

I cut off the arms and the collar, over-exaggerating the collar so the bag would have a bigger opening.

I edged the handles with some black bias tape. You can skip this part but rough-edges generally make me upset. Not always (like when I’m feeling lazy) but generally.

And, that’s it!

Use it for groceries, bring it to the beach, whatever, and it’s so easy to wash!

Side- so I didn’t wash this shirt first and I’m thinking it’s going to shrink up and the bias tape is going to look bunchy when I finally do. Oops on that one. Wash your shirt first!

Advertisements

11 Responses to “T-shirt bag diy”

1. 1 Jay April 21, 2012 at 12:24 am

That looks so simple that maybe I could even manage it. And that owl is sooo cute. I love owls.

2. 6 soididitmyself April 21, 2012 at 8:58 am

Oh my gosh, I heart that bag! I adore owls.

3. 7 ksnapped April 21, 2012 at 10:06 am

What an awesome idea, I love it! (My friends might be all receiving similar Christmas “gifts” this year…)

• 8 TheTragicWhale April 21, 2012 at 11:32 am

Awesome! I honestly can’t remember that last time I BOUGHT something for a friends birthday/Christmas. It’s so much more fun to make them things!

4. 9 Brittany Moore April 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I love this! I made a few of these out of tank tops a couple of years back, but I really like what you’ve done with the bias tape. Great job!

1. 1 dirtyclouds | Pearltrees Trackback on April 21, 2012 at 7:54 am