WordAds

Back at the beginning of December(ish), WordPress announced that it was going to launch WordAds which is their own advertizing thing. This was right after I thought we might move to Blogger so we’d have the option for advertizing on the blog.  And around the time when I thought maybe, just MAYBE, I could start the process of running my own business and quitting my day job! Anyway, when I first saw the announcements for WordAds, I signed up immediately.

Then I waited.

I got this emailed, and waited some more.

I figured WordPress was super busy trying to figure out how this was going to work, and it would take a long time to hear back. Like, 2 months. Tops.

Then I figured they didn’t want me because, although I try not to swear or say offensive things, I did say, “Who wants to eat in tiny little portions? Not an American, that’s for damn sure!” in a post. I know its isn’t the worst, but it wasn’t one of my proudest moments. Even though I laughed while typing it and again just now when I had to hunt it down and paste it in here. Ahaha.

Then I forgot completely.

Until a few days ago when this email came!

But I’d already given WordAds up for dead. Moved on and decided that I didn’t need advertizing. I’m not going to leave me job (probably ever. I’ll probably die there), and my blog and etsy are just hobbies.

Also, to activate, you have to link to PayPal and give your social security number for tax purposes and stuff.

And right now I don’t make enough on etsy to HAVE to claim it on my taxes. Which brings me to the most important part, will this make doing taxes hard?!

When I asked, WordPress said I had some time to think about it.

The results are in, and I talked to a couple of other people, and it looks like we’re going to give WordAds a try!

About these ads

11 Responses to “WordAds”

1. 1 soididitmyself April 8, 2012 at 8:08 am

In my state, even if u have all that tax stuff filled out you don’t have to file earnings under a certain amount. I think here it is 500. So you might want to look into your requirements before turning them down.

2. 3 The Waiting April 8, 2012 at 11:53 am

Some people are really against running ads on their blogs. I am not one of them! I dunno, it just seems like if you can make an extra buck on the side doing something you love, you should! I could only be so lucky to be able to profit from my blog! If this is something you chose to do, I really hope it works out for you! :D

• 4 TheTragicWhale April 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Thanks! I’m not against ads, I’m just not sure how this ad program will work. Like, where will they appear on the blog? I don’t want them popping up in the middle of posts! I should probably send along another email and find out.

3. 5 Hallie Madenski April 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I was accepted into the WordAds program fairly recently also, I just don’t understand how the earnings work. Under the settings tab it says I have a certain amount accumulated but it has not updated or changed for weeks.

I have a decently high traffic and stable blog so I don’t understand that. This ad service is still…being perfected, I suppose. Either way, I’m very excited to see how it all turns out.

• 6 TheTragicWhale April 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I have no idea how it works! I don’t even think they’ve put ads on my blog yet. I know that they update the earnings page monthly, and maybe after you accrue a certain amount you can transfer it to your paypal? Also, I think you only earn if people click the ads.

4. 7 The Background Story April 27, 2012 at 6:03 am

We’re trying out WordAds on our blog. The ads are a bit unsightly (haha), but we want to know how much the earnings will be — just to see if it’s worth putting in the extra effort to garner more traffic. Personally, I’m not expecting for much from WordAds, though.

5. 10 José Felipe May 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm

i have just received my acceptance email and dont know what yo do. why do they need my social security number? i dont even have a job, so i cant report taxes.

• 11 TheTragicWhale May 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Maybe in case you make a boat load of money, WordPress is protecting itself from aiding and abetting tax evasion? I’m not 100% sure